905.451.2000

Saving Lucy Nigli from “Bloat”

Late on August 9th, Pamela & Brian Nigli brought Lucy through our doors after she was acting in a way they didn’t recognize. Lucy was experiencing bloat, or known in the veterinary world as gastric dilation volvulus.

Bloat is a very serious health risk for dogs, but most owners know very little about it. It is considered to be the second leading killer of dogs after cancer. Bloat is usually caused by swallowed air although it is typical for there still be food or fluids inside the stomach. Bloat is what leads to [the perhaps more commonly heard of] “twisted stomach.” When a dog is experiencing bloat it is common that we will see the stomach turn 90° or 360°. Our practice manager, Jodi Nantis has written an informative article all about bloat that we would encourage dog owners to read.
Dr. Daniella was able to diagnose Lucy with bloat through x-ray and we were able to prep her for surgery quickly. With a worried mom & dad out in the waiting area, we were pleased to be able to give them the good news that we had saved their Lucy from this risk and she would be able to return home after a recovery period when we could ensure she was stable.

The Nigli’s were gracious enough to send us this wonderful note we would love to share with you along with a photo of Lucy & the team below,

“We were very touched and impressed by the care and professionalism shown by the NTV team the night (09 Aug 2013) we brought Lucy in for an emergency appointment. Everyone flew into action, stabilized Lucy, did XRays, performed blood tests, diagnosed her case, and prepared her for surgery, in double quick time.

We would like to thank all those who had to stay late that night, for Lucy’s surgery, which lasted till 1:30AM. This is what saved her life. We were shown love and compassion during this time. One of the girls spent time talking to us about her horses which helped calm us down. She even made me a cup of strong coffee when she found that I was very cold. All this makes an all round team of professionals who care.

We came in last night 22 Aug 2013, for Lucy’s follow-up appointment at 9PM, with Dr. Daniella and met some of the team that took care of Lucy during the days she spent in the hospital. It was a joy to see everyone so happy to see Lucy looking so well.

Lots of love from Lucy.

Our thanks to all of you at NTV.

Pamela & Brian Nigli”

Tags:

Blog

Cannabis (Marijuana) Intoxication in Cats and Dogs

Pets have more cannabinoid receptors in their brains than humans. This means that the effects of cannabis are more dramatic and potentially more toxic. A small amount of cannabis is all it takes to cause toxicity in cats and dogs.

Read More
See All Articles

North Town Veterinary Hospital is committed to doing everything possible to combat the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak.

As part of this commitment, effective immediately, North Town Veterinary Hospital will be instituting the following precautionary protocol to minimize the risk of COVID-19 transmission.

For the safety of yourself, our staff, and the community we are limiting the amount of clients permitted inside of our building. We have initiated a semi- open door policy to allow one person inside the hospital while your pet is here for a scheduled exam. One person is also permitted inside the hospital for surgical drop offs. Our emergency services remain closed door to clients as our building does not allow for proper social distancing while waiting for the veterinarian. Please call 905-451-2000 when you arrive for your appointment, surgical drop off or emergency service to gain further direction from one of our team members. You can also place an order for pet food through our Online Store by visiting our website.

EMERGENCY CASES

- If possible, please call us at 905-451-2000 to let us know you are on the way so that we can be prepared to meet you upon your arrival at the hospital.

- When you arrive, please stay in your vehicle in our parking lot and call 905-451-2000, and we'll come to you.

- If you do not have a phone or your pet's emergency is immediately life-threatening, please come to the front door and ring the bell.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.