Did you know that your cats and dogs can feel the winter blues too? Have you noticed your pet is gaining weight, becoming irritable and sleeping too much? Once your veterinarian has ruled out any medical conditions, here are some handy tips to consider to keep your pets upbeat during the winter months.
- Get Out! Most dogs love playing in the snow and some cats do too. Use a long leash to keep pets in eyesight and safe.
- If it’s too cold to go outdoors make the inside fun for your pet.
- Open blinds to let in the sunlight, pets perk up with the natural sunlight shining in.
- Create a treasure hunt for your pet by hiding scented treats for dogs and catnip toys for cats around the home.
- Store bought or homemade toys are fun for cats, crumple paper for your cat to chase, get your cat rolling in old sheets this will help burn off excess energy.
- Set up a sitting area for your cat by the window, cats love to watch birds and squirrels out the window.
- For dogs games such as fetch, tug of war and gentle wrestling will give them a great workout!